Saturday, October 13, 2012

Chinese Fried Rice

Ms. P told me that I would fall really sick after winter because I hadn't gotten ill during winter. Well, she was right! (damn her curse! ha). This week has been especially tough for me as I caught a very bad coughing bug last week. The cough has kept me up at night and caused me sleepless nights throughout the week. Despite hurting all over and coughing my lungs out, I had a really good week. I was working with a well-known food stylist and photographer on some food photography for my work (WOO HOOO!! I love food shoots!!). Long week it was! Starting at 8am and finishing late, I didnt manage to cook much the past week so I decided to do some cooking today.

I got my inspiration for dinner tonight from Not Quite Nigella's blog. I read her post about her mom's fried rice a few days ago and thought that would be perfect since I had 4-day old rice in the fridge. 

I am not one to follow recipes unless it is for baking. So I skim through her recipe and found one interesting step. She had said to mix the old rice with salt, sugar, sesame oil and white pepper first before frying it. I decided to adopt this step and to my surprise, the results were great!  

So, here's my recipe:
  • 6 cups of old rice (kept in the fridge for a few days to dry it out - never use freshly cooked rice)
  • 6 chinese sausage (lup cheong), diced (so many I know! YUM YUM)
  • 1/2 spanish onions, finely chopped
  • 1 bunch of broccolini stems, diced (I used the top section for something else later)
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 eggs, whisked (add some water to thin it out)
  • 3 tablespoon of sesame oil
  • seasoning for old rice- 2 tbs soy sauce, 2 tbs sesame oil, generous sprinkle of white pepper, 1 tsp sugar, 2 tbs chinese wine (Shaoxing wine), combine all into a bowl to be added onto the old rice


Here's the instructions:
1. Add seasoning for old rice into the old rice until well combined, place aside
2. Use the eggs to fry an omelette, then broken into small pieces and place aside
3. Heat wok with vegetable oil, fry chopped onions until golden brown, remove from wok and place aside
4. Add sesame oil into the same wok, add diced carrots and chinese sausage. Fry for 2 mins
5. Add the diced broccolini stems and fry for additional 1 min
6. Add the pieces of omelette into the wok
7. Add the seasoned rice into the wok 
8. Fry everything for a few more minutes until everything is well combined
9. Remove and serve fried rice with the fried onions (and garnish with coriander, optional)





Now, I am usually not very good at plating my food but having worked with the food stylist and photographer this week inspired me to plate up the fried rice! Check out the coriander! lol



Hope you enjoy this recipe.

Cheers.

3 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Thanks so much for the shoutout! And I love how generous you were with the Lup Cheong-my favourite!

Lay's said...

Thanks for stopping by! :)
Oh yes, I love Lup Cheong too!! YUMMMMM!!!

Aicha Dalgic said...

Whooaaaa this sounds insanely

delicious! Great recipe!

i love your blog !


you are welcome in my blog !!

kisses from belguim

bisous bisous

www.fraise-framboise.blogspot.com